What are cookies?
Cookies are tiny text files stored on your computer or other mobile or handheld device (such as smart phones or ‘tablets’) when you visit certain web pages.
Cookies are essential to the effective operation of our website and to enable you to interact with us online. The information collected by cookies cannot be used to identify you personally.
When does Avnet place cookies?
What do cookies do?
Cookies do lots of different things, like letting you navigate between pages effectively, storing your preferences, and generally improving your experience of a website.
Some other examples of what cookies can do include:
- Storing information on a temporary basis that you have inputted.
- Recording the areas and pages of our website that you have visited so that we can use this information to help us improve the flow and content delivery of our website to ensure that it is easy to use and so we can improve the services we provide to our visitors.
What are the different types of cookies used by Avnet?
If you don’t make any changes to your current cookie settings via your browser, the following are the types of cookies that may be used when you visit an Avnet recruitment website:
- Session Cookies
Session cookies contains information that is stored in a temporary memory location and then subsequently deleted after the session is completed or the web browser is closed. This cookie stores information that the user has inputted and tracks the movements of the user within the website. View our Session cookies.
- Performance Cookies
Performance cookies collect information about how you use our website e.g. which pages you visit and if you experience any errors. These cookies may collect the IP address of the device used to access the site. All information collected is only used to help us understand how our visitors use our website, what interests our users, and to measure how effective our pages are so that we can improve how we present our content to you. These cookies help to improve the performance of the website, providing a better experience for you. View our Performance cookies.
List of Cookies and analytics tools used on our websites
The following are the cookies and analytics tools that may be used when you visit an Avnet website:
|Cookie name / supplier||Purpose|
|Language cookie (PLAY_LANG)||On our sites that offer language options e.g. English / Chinese / German we use a cookie to enable users to change their preferred language.|
|Time zone (timezoneOffset)||On our sites we capture your timezone|
|Other Session Cookies:
||Other Session Cookies that are used to track a candidate’s user session on the site. The cookies have no actual personal details (session or cache information) stored. Additionally 3rd party cookies are not used.|
|Cookie name / supplier||Purpose|
How do I change Cookie settings?
In case you would like to keep your browsing private or delete cookies stored on your computer or device, you can set your preferences in the Settings/Options feature on the browser you are using on your computer/device. To illustrate the process please see two examples below for Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.
- Click on Tools at the top of the screen
- Select Internet Options
- Click on the privacy tab
- Select Advanced Privacy Settings
- Select the Override automatic cookie handling option
- Choose how cookies are handled
- Click the OK button
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button (Tools menu in Windows XP) and then click Options
- Select the Privacy panel
- Set Firefox will: to Use custom settings for history
- Check mark Accept cookies from sites to enable Cookies, and uncheck it to disable them.
- If you are troubleshooting problems with cookies, make sure Accept third party cookies is also check marked. For more information, see Disable third-party cookies in Firefox to stop some types of tracking by advertisers.
- Choose how long cookies are allowed to be stored
- Keep until: they expire: Each cookie will be removed when it reaches its expiration date, which is set by the site that sent the cookie.
- Keep until: I close Firefox: The cookies that are stored on your computer will be removed when Firefox is closed.
- Keep until: ask me every time: Displays an alert every time a website tries to send a cookie, and asks you whether or not you want to store it. Keep until: ask me every time: Displays an alert every time a website tries to send a cookie, and asks you whether or not you want to store it.
Click OK to close the Options window
More information can be found here: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences