The OPT3001 is a sensor that measures the intensity of visible light. The spectral response of the sensor tightly matches the photopic response of the human eye and includes significant infrared rejection.
The OPT3001 is a single-chip lux meter, measuring the intensity of light as visible by the human eye. The precision spectral response and strong IR rejection of the device enables the OPT3001 to accurately meter the intensity of light as seen by the human eye regardless of light source. The strong IR rejection also aids in maintaining high accuracy when industrial design calls for mounting the sensor under dark glass for aesthetics. The OPT3001 is designed for systems that create light-based experiences for humans, and an ideal preferred replacement for photodiodes, photoresistors, or other ambient light sensors with less human eye matching and IR rejection.
Measurements can be made from 0.01 lux up to 83k lux without manually selecting full-scale ranges by using the built-in, full-scale setting feature. This capability allows light measurement over a 23-bit effective dynamic range.
The digital operation is flexible for system integration. Measurements can be either continuous or single-shot. The control and interrupt system features autonomous operation, allowing the processor to sleep while the sensor searches for appropriate wake-up events to report via the interrupt pin. The digital output is reported over an I2C- and SMBus-compatible, two-wire serial interface.
The low power consumption and low power-supply voltage capability of the OPT3001 enhance the battery life of battery-powered systems.
- Precision Optical Filtering to Match Human Eye:
- Rejects > 99% (typ) of IR
- Automatic Full-Scale Setting Feature Simplifies Software and Ensures Proper Configuration
- Measurements: 0.01 lux to 83 k lux
- 23-Bit Effective Dynamic Range With
Automatic Gain Ranging
- 12 Binary-Weighted Full-Scale Range Settings:
< 0.2% (typ) Matching Between Ranges
- Low Operating Current: 1.8 µA (typ)
- Operating Temperature Range: –40°C to +85°C
- Wide Power-Supply Range: 1.6 V to 3.6 V
- 5.5-V Tolerant I/O
- Flexible Interrupt System
- Small-Form Factor: 2.0 mm × 2.0 mm × 0.65 mm
- Lighting Control Systems
- Outdoor Traffic and Street Lights
- Thermostats and Home Automation Appliances