Infineon CoolSiC™ semiconductor solutions are the next essential step towards an energy-smart world. Infineon CoolSiC™ solutions combine revolutionary technology with benchmark reliability – making the customers successful today and tomorrow.
The use of SiC based power semiconductor solutions has shown a huge increase over the last years. Driving forces behind this market development are the following trends: energy saving, size reduction, system integration and improved reliability. The combination of a fast silicon based switch with a SiC diode – is often termed a “hybrid” solution. In recent years Infineon has manufactured several millions of hybrid modules and has seen installed them in various customer products.
Over the next few years, SiC solutions will expand into application fields such as photovoltaic, electromobility, UPS, industrial or traction drives. The reasons for this are the market forces pushing for loss reduction, not only for the sake of improved efficiency but also for smaller packages – resulting from reduced heat sink requirements. SiC is already being used for high end and niche solutions. Today’s designs use these benefits to reduce system cost in specific application areas.
We find that:
- Silicon carbide technology has reached a turning point and has enormus growth potential in the near future
- The market is sizeable and growing with ~20% 5 year CAGR
- CoolSiC™ MOSFET roll-out started in 2017, with competitive positioning and UPSs in best performance at robustness levels equivalent to silicon IGBTs
- Early SiC MOSFET adopters are found in PV application, fast chargers, energy storage and industrial SMPS
- Portfolio push in packages and voltage classes will further accelerate market penetration beyond 2018