The ADS8885 is an 18-bit, 400-kSPS, true-differential input, analog-to-digital converter (ADC). The device operates with a 2.5-V to 5-V external reference, offering a wide selection of signal ranges without additional input signal scaling. The reference voltage setting is independent of, and can exceed, the analog supply voltage (AVDD).
The device offers an SPI-compatible serial interface that also supports daisy-chain operation for cascading multiple devices. An optional busy-indicator bit makes synchronizing with the digital host easy.
The device supports unipolar, true-differential analog input signals with a differential input swing of –VREF to +VREF. This true-differential analog input structure allows for a common-mode voltage of any value in the range of 0 V to +VREF (when both inputs are within the operating input range of –0.1 V to VREF + 0.1 V).
Device operation is optimized for very low-power operation. Power consumption directly scales with speed. This feature makes the ADS8885 excellent for lower-speed applications.
- Sample Rate: 400 kHz
- No Latency Output
- Unipolar, True-Differential Input Range: –VREF to +VREF
- Wide Common-Mode Voltage Range: 0 V to VREF with 90-dB CMRR (min)
- SPI™-Compatible Serial Interface with Daisy-Chain Option
- Excellent AC and DC Performance:
- SNR: 100 dB, THD: –115 dB
- INL: ±1.5 LSB (typ), ±3.0 LSB (max)
- DNL: +1.5 and –1 LSB (max), 18-Bit NMC
- Data Acquisition (DAQ)
- Defense Radios
- Digital Multimeters (DMM)
- Field Instrumentation
- Lab Instrumentation
- Laser Distance Measurement
- Non-Military Land Mobile Radio
The TI ADS8885S part is designed in the enhanced accuracy Battery Fuel Gauge Reference Design for Low Power Industrial IoT Field Metering as shown in the above block diagram.