Microchip System on Module Linux based training
03 Oct 2018 - 03 Oct 2018
SoM Linux based training enabling cellular connectivity from Quectel
In this class, you will explore embedded Linux on a Microchip ATSAMA5D27-SOM1-EK1 evaluation platform. You will be given a comprehensive overview of embedded Linux including the boot sequence, kernel and the concept of the Linux Root File System. You will then learn about Linux build systems and why Yocto has become the embedded Linux build system of choice. We will give an in depth overview of the Yocto flow backed up by real hands on experience in the lab sessions.
The hands on session will take you through the whole process of creating a custom embedded Linux distribution and getting it running on real hardware. We will then move on through each of the steps required to achieve board to cloud connectivity using the Avnet Silica NB-IoT Sensor Shield and IBM Cloud Quickstart. The shield is based on the Quectel BG96 cellular mode which supports both LTE Cat M1 and NarrowBand-IoT (LTE Cat.NB) along with 2G fallback. The shield supports both Arduino UNO R3 and PMOD interfaces.
Attendees are required to bring your own Windows based laptop of a modern spec with a minimum 2 USB ports and 4GB RAM (further software pre-requisite info will be provided after registration).
- 09:00 – Welcome and Introduction to Avnet Silica
- 09:05 – Microchip SAMA5D2 SiP / SoM Intro
- 09:45 – Introduction to Embedded Linux
- 11:00 – Coffee break
- 11:15 – Introduction to Yocto and the Yocto workflow
- 12:15 – Lunch break
- 12:45 – Quectel Wireless Overview
- 13:15 – Hands on sessions (including breaks)
- 16:00 – End
Date & venue
- October 3rd, 2018 - Dublin (Clayton Hotel Dublin Airport, Stockhole Lane Swords Co., Dublin, Ireland)