PAN1026A dual-mode bluetooth 4.2 module
Panasonic Industry Europe is introducing a highly-integrated, embedded dual-mode Bluetooth 4.2 RF module delivering high-speed operation at ultra-low power consumption
Panasonic Industry Europe is introducing a highly-integrated, embedded dual-mode Bluetooth 4.2 RF module delivering high-speed operation at ultra-low power consumption. The PAN1026A is based on Toshiba ́s single-chip TC35661 Bluetooth semiconductor device with an embedded Toshiba Bluetooth SIG certified stack. An embedded SPP (Serial Port Profile of Bluetooth Classic) and a GATT (Generic Attribute Profile of Bluetooth LE) stack are integrated.
The PAN1026A module provides all necessary clocks, EEPROM and integrated antenna, significantly reducing external component count and power consumption in applications requiring support of Bluetooth 4.2 standards. The integrated EEPROM has a Panasonic MAC address and it can be used to store link keys. As the PAN1026A device is fully pin and footprint compatible with its predecessor and also uses the same Software Development Kit, the upgrade from the PAN1026 product is very easy.
Compared to the PAN1026, the PAN1026A has additional features for secure connections via Bluetooth LE. Next to increased low energy transfer speed, transmission power can also be controlled. The PAN1026A module is manufactured in a small 15.6mm x 8.7mm x 1.9mm SMD package with a shielded case and it is qualified according to the Bluetooth 2.1 and 4.2 standards.
Remarks Pascal Meier, Product Manager at Panasonic: “Our new PAN1026A module allows for serving both legacy Bluetooth Classic and Bluetooth Low Energy connections with rapid connection and disconnection, needed by a wide range of applications, all at a small form factor”.
Prototyping and testing can be accelerated by utilizing the PAN1026A evaluation kit (Part Number: ENW89837AUKF). It contains two PAN1026A USB evaluation sticks. The sticks feature a USB to UART converter and allow access to the module pins. They are designed to be used with Easy SPP/BLE. Also available is a PAN1026AEMK Experimenter Kit (Part Number: ENW89837AWKF). The kit can be used to develop BT Low Energy applications using the new PAN1026A.
Features and benefits
- Small 15.6 mm x 8.7 mm x 1.9 mm SMD module
- Bluetooth 4.2 Basic Data Rate (BR) and Low Energy (LE)
- Embedded SPP profile
- High-level API commands
- Bluetooth 4.2 (LE) embedded GATT profile with high-level API commands, compatible with Toshiba reference BLE profiles
- Integrated high speed crystal oscillator (26 MHz)
- Interfaces: UART, GPIO (10 input/output pins), wake-up control pins
- Increased (2.5 x) BLE data transfer rates through extended MTU size (64 bytes to 160 bytes)
- More complex BLE profiles possible through extended GATT functionality
- Data base pool, number of services and characteristics, data flow control
- Fast SPP classic connection/disconnection times
- Interlaced inquiry/page scan and extended inquiry response
- Transmission (Tx) power control
- Improved PER (packet error rate) for BLE traffic
- Integration of BT 4.2 secure connecting feature implementing ECDH technology
Ask an expert
Have a question? Our regional technical specialists are on hand to help.