By bringing together the physical and digital worlds, the Internet of Things (IoT) vastly expands the reach and impact of information technology, offering transformational possibilities. Yet IBM estimates that nearly 90% of IoT data is never utilized.
Cognitive IoT can bring intelligence into things, systems and processes so they can understand your goals, and then integrate and analyze the relevant data to help you achieve them. IBM® Watson™ IoT offerings combined with offerings from Avnet and other ecosystem partners extend the power of cognitive computing to connected devices and systems, enabling enterprises, businesses, and individuals to harness this real-time data, compare it with historical data sets and deep reservoirs of accumulated knowledge, and find unexpected correlations that generate new insights to benefit business and society alike.
IBM Watson IoT Platform
IBM Watson IoT Platform is a fully managed, cloud-hosted service that makes it simple to build and deploy apps for IoT devices, sensors and gateways. It provides solutions for device registration, connectivity, control, rapid visualization and storage of data derived from the IoT. When combined with the IBM Bluemix® environment, and access to secure Watson APIs, the platform allows you to integrate and analyze predictive, cognitive, and contextual analytics for stronger decision-making.
Key Watson IoT Platform features:
- Provides Connectivity for IoT devices, networks and gateways.
- Integrates any virtual smart device or endpoint through a broad and growing ecosystem that uses open standards based communications (MQTT, HTTPS).
- Enables secure communication and device management services that are globally scalable, starting with a single device.
- Leverages robust analytics capabilities and Watson IoT APIs.
- IBM Analytics and Watson IoT APIs provide predictive and realtime analysis of user, machine and system-generated data including speech, text, video, audio and social sentiment.
- Contextual insight provides ability for cognitive decision making which impacts not only current, but future operations, product development and customer engagement.
- Helps manage risk and security of applications and devices within an IoT ecosystem.
- Understands the normal behavior of an IoT system, recognizing usage and performance patterns and identifying anomalies.
- Ensures that IoT data and transactions are valid and coming from trusted sources, and provides transparency and auditability within IoT systems via advanced security technologies such as Blockchain.
- Provides information management services for structured and unstructured data, from devices, people, and the world around us.
- Intelligently manage, transform and store IoT data that is connected from diverse data sources and platforms including metadata and unstructured data.
- Parse, filter and transform data; cache or archive data selectively for off platform analytics or for integration with IoT apps.
- Combine your IoT data with various external data sources such as The Weather Company™ to extend combined insights and actions in response to the wider physical environment .
© Copyright IBM Corporation 2016.