Visible Things simplifies the complexity of secure edge to enterprise IoT technology. It delivers a complete evaluation and reference platform to connect smart devices right through to the cloud and enterprise software. Avnet supports an ever increasing range of sensors, connectivity, gateway and security technologies, together with cloud, analytics, mobile and enterprise integration services. We regularly add new features, provide updates and deliver training on our Visible Things platform.
Visible Things is delivered in the form of many different boards which can be taken depending on the functionality required. The very nature of IoT technology requires the features delivered by these boards to be pre-integrated and tested end to end wherever possible. This fundamental principle of Visible Things allows the users to concentrate on their applications to deliver the target IoT business outcomes.
This product brief aims to describe the features delivered and provide guidance to the most appropriate board or kit to use.
- Sensor to server security layer on top of network security
- Quick evaluation of end application
- Highest degree of flexibility
- Reduces development time significantly - time saving
- Optimized power consumption
- Integrated and tested communication path from Edge to Enterprise
- Cloud ready
Examples of Target Applications
- Remote monitoring
- Predictive maintenance of motors and drives
- Room control in homes and buildings
- Lighting and shading (indoor & outdoor)
- Security and surveillance
- Home appliances
- Smart energy (metering & in home displays)
- Health care & infrastructure
- Industrial automation, inspection, drives monitoring, sensor hub
Scope of the Visible Things Platform
Visible Things - Features supported
- Bluetooth Smart
- 3-Axis + temperature
- MEMS microphone
- Ambient light
- Energy harvesting
- Secure element
- 3G, 4G
- MCUs based on ARM Cortex™-M cores
- Camera module 1.26Mp
- 1x QVGA TFT display with touchscreen
- Audio – microphone and speaker
- 1x PoE PD
- 2x Ethernet IEEE1588v2
- 2x USB (1x HS, 1x FS)
- 1x CAN 2.0B
- 32MB SPI flash
- 32MB SDRAM
- MicroSD card
- Secure element
UbiquiOS™ gateway embedded software:
Demonstrator cloud platforms are built into the Visible Things starter kits. On top of this sits a whole range of services to develop a deployed solution.
- Evaluation: Visible Things cloud starter kit instances.
- Manage: Provision, deployment, and management of the cloud service.
- Build: Building the Software as a Service (SaaS) specific to customer application - mobile and cloud application development, device management, security, analytics.
- Enterprise: Integration of new cloud based and existing systems together – API architecture, industrial use case implementation, enterprise security.
Avnet and eco system services capabilities to create specific solutions to business issues.
- Mobile and cloud application development
- Device management and end to end security
- Cognitive and predictive analytics
- Advanced visualisation
- Managed services
Transform clients business models bringing new and existing systems together by working with our services capabilities and partner eco system.
- API architecture
- Industry demonstrators – use cases
- Enterprise class security
SK001 - Entry level starter kit
Visible Things deliverables
The Visible Things starter kits consist of a smart sensor with Bluetooth connectivity through to a gateway. The gateway then manages connectivity through the cloud services where sensor data can be visualised and managed with simple tools. A mobile app is delivered to the boards and also directly visualise sensor data.
Both kits are designed to work together with quick start guides to quickly get up and running with a proof of concept. Technical documentation and design files are then available once development and integration of the technology into products starts.
Further smart sensors and PMODs are then available and described below to evaluate further connectivity such as GSM and LPWAN.
An Avnet mobile application for iOS and Android is provided for configuration of the devices locally and to support connections to the cloud service. The application is fully integrated with a quick start guide to make it easy to connect the system from edge to enterprise.
SK002 - Industrial Starter Kit
Industrial Gateway with Energy Harvesting Environmental Sensor
Lorawan Smart Sensor
The LoRaWAN Smart sensor, together with local sensors, is managed by an NXP Cortex-M0 microcontroller. Whether a private or public LoRaWAN network is being used, Avnet Silica can support the integration between the network server and a cloud service such as Devicepoint.
- VT-SK-001-A: Entry starter kit. Includes: Bluetooth Smart sensor board, Gateway board, Mini USB cable.
- VT-SK-002-A01-LAI: Industrial starter kit. Includes: Sensor board, Industrial gateway.
- VT-SS-001-A01: Bluetooth Smart sensor. To connect additional sensors through gateway boards.
- VT-SS-004-A01S-INF: Gen 2 Bluetooth Smart Sensor. To connect additional sensors through gateway boards