Allegro ACS730 – 1 MHz bandwidth, galvanically isolated current sensor IC in SOIC8 package
The Allegro™ ACS730 current sensor family provides economical and precise solutions for AC or DC current sensing in industrial, commercial, and communications systems. The device package allows easy implementation by the customer. Typical applications include motor control, load detection and management, switched-mode power supplies, and overcurrent fault protection.
The device consists of a precise, low-offset, linear Hall sensor circuit with a copper conduction path located near the surface of the die. Applied current flowing through this copper conduction path generates a magnetic field which is sensed by the integrated Hall IC and converted into a proportional voltage. Device accuracy is optimized through the close proximity of the magnetic field to the Hall transducer. A precise, proportional voltage is provided by the Hall IC, which is programmed for accuracy after packaging. The output of the device has a positive slope when an increasing current flows through the primary copper conduction path (from pins 1 and 2, to pins 3 and 4), which is the path used for current sensing. The internal resistance of this conductive path is typically 1.2mΩ, providing low power loss.
The terminals of the conductive path are electrically isolated from the sensor leads (pins 5 through 8). This allows the ACS730 current sensor to be used in high-side current sense applications without the use of high-side differential amplifiers or other costly isolation techniques.
The ACS730 is provided in a small, low-profile surface-mount SOIC8 package. The leadframe is plated with 100% matte tin, which is compatible with standard lead (Pb) free printed circuit board assembly processes. Internally, the device is Pb-free, except for flip-chip high-temperature Pb-based solder balls, currently exempt from RoHS. The device is fully calibrated prior to shipment from the factory.
Features & benefits
- Industry-leading noise performance with greatly improved bandwidth through proprietary amplifier and filter design techniques
- High bandwidth 1 MHz analog output
- Patented integrated digital temperature compensation circuitry allows high accuracy over temperature in an open loop sensor
- 1.2 mΩ primary conductor resistance for low power loss and high inrush current withstanding capability
- Small footprint, low-profile SOIC8 package suitable for space-constrained applications
- Integrated shield virtually eliminates capacitive coupling from current conductor to die due to high dV/dt voltage transients
- 5 V, single supply operation
- Output voltage proportional to AC or DC current
- Factory-trimmed sensitivity and quiescent output voltage for improved accuracy
- High PSRR for noisy environments
- Motor control
- Load detection and management
- SMPS (Switch mode Power Supplies)
- Overcurrent fault protection