Intersil ISL8215M from Renesas
Renesas ISL8215M -industry's first 15A, 42V analog power module
ISL8215M power module is a single-channel, synchronous step-down, non-isolated complete power supply, capable of delivering up to 15A of continuous current. Operating from a single 7V to 42V wide input power rail and integrating the controller, power inductor, and MOSFETs, the ISL8215M requires only a few external components to operate and is optimized for space constrained applications.
Based on a valley current mode PWM control scheme, the ISL8215M provides fast transient response and excellent loop stability. It offers an adjustable output voltage range of 0.6V to 12V with better than 1.5% accuracy over line, load, and temperature. A 40ns typical minimum on time and an adjustable operating frequency allow it to support low duty cycle, single-step down conversions to point-of-load voltages and its operating frequency can also be synchronized with an external clock signal.
The ISL8215M implements a selectable Pulse Skipping Mode (PSM) with Diode Emulation Mode (DEM) to improve light-load efficiency for battery related applications. A programmable soft-start reduces the inrush current from the input supply while a dedicated enable pin and power-good flag allow for easy system power rails sequencing with voltage tracking capability. Excellent efficiency and low thermal resistance permit full power operation without heatsinks.
Input Undervoltage Lockout (UVLO), over-temperature, programmable overcurrent, output overvoltage, and output prebias start-up protections ensure safe operations under abnormal operating conditions.
The ISL8215M is available in a compact RoHS compliant thermally-enhanced 19mmx13mmx5.3mm HDA package.
- Complete 15A single-channel power supply integrates controller, MOSFETs, inductor, and passive components
- Operates from a single 7V to 42V wide input voltage range
- Adjustable output voltage from 0.6V to 12V with +/- 1.5 % accuracy over line, load and temperature, and 40ns on-time low duty cycle
- Up to 96.5% peak efficiency
- Adjustable switching frequency from 300kHz to 2MHz, with 300kHz default
- External clock signal synchronization up to 1MHz
- Selectable light-load PSM/DEM efficiency mode to extend battery life
- Fault protections include input under-voltage lockout, over-temperature, programmable over-current, output over-voltage and output pre-bias startup ensure safe operation
- Programmable soft-start reduces inrush current from the input supply
- Dedicated enable pin and power-good flag simplify sequencing of system power rails with voltage tracking
- The ISL8215M has an evaluation kit available:
- ISL8215MEVAL1Z user guide – MSRP $61.33 (Please refer to the Renesas price list for local currencies)
- Industrial and medical equipment
- Aftermarket automotive
- Telecom and datacom equipment