STM32L5 - Series of ultra-low-power microcontroller units (MCUs)
Security has emerged as one of the 3 key areas that developers of embedded and IoT applications are thriving to improve. The STM32L5 microcontroller series is the solution and provide a new optimal balance between performance, power and security. The STM32L5 MCU series harnesses the security features of the Arm Cortex-M33 processor and its TrustZone for Armv8-M combined with ST security implementation. ST-proprietary ultra-low-power technologies create a class-leading MCU for energy-conscious applications such as Internet of things (IoT), medical, industrial and consumer.
Offering up to 512 Kbytes of flash (dual bank) memory and 256 Kbytes of SRAM, the STM32L5 series of microcontrollers reaches an upgraded level of performance (442 CoreMark) thanks to this new core and a new ST ART Accelerator™ (supporting now also external memory).
The STM32L5 offers a large portfolio with 7 packages (from 48 to 144 pins) and supports up to 125°C ambient temperature.
A full set of security
- Flexible hardware and software secure isolations with TrustZone
- Enhanced security services: dedicated secure user memory space for Secure Boot, symmetric and asymmetric crypto accelerations, memory and IP protection, independent Read out protection between secure / non secure domains, active IO tamper detection, certified cryptolib, embedded Secure Firmware Install loader and ecosystem.
Best power consumption
- EEMBC ULPBench®: 370 ULPMark-CP score
- Embedded SMPS step down converter (optional)
- Best power consumption numbers with full flexibility:
- 17 nA in shutdown mode
- 3 µA in stop mode with full SRAM and peripheral states retention with 5µs wake-up time
- Down to 62 µA/MHz in active mode
Integration, size and performance
- Better responsiveness of the application:
- New Arm Cortex-M33 at 110 MHz performance: +20% versus Cortex-M4
- New ST ART Accelerator: working both on internal and external Flash (8 Kbytes of instruction cache)
- Achieving 165 DMIPS and 442 CoreMark scores
- High integration and innovation: large memory, USB Type-C w/power delivery controller, CAN FD
- Large portfolio: 7 packages type (LQFP48, QFN48, LQFP64, WLCSP81, LQFP100, UFBGA132 and LQFP144) for several options
Arm® Cortex®-M33 (TrustZone® + DSP + FPU) – 110 MHz
2 x Op-Amp
2 x Comp
|4ch / 2x
16 bit HW
AES, PKA, OTFDEC
USB Device &
USB Device &
CAN-FD & AES
The STM32L552E-EV Evaluation board is designed as a complete demonstration and development platform for STMicroelectronics Arm® Cortex®-M33 core with TrustZone® and the ARMv8-M mainline security extension.
The STM32L562E-DK Discovery kit is a complete demonstration and development platform for Arm® Cortex®-M33 with TrustZone® and ARMv8-M mainline security extension core-based STM32L562QEI6QU microcontroller, with 512 Kbytes of Flash memory and 256 Kbytes of SRAM.
The STM32 Nucleo-144 board provides an affordable and flexible way for users to try out new concepts and build prototypes by choosing from the various combinations of performance and power consumption features, provided by the STM32 microcontroller. For the compatible boards, the internal or external SMPS significantly reduces power consumption in Run mode.