Nordic Semiconductor nRF9160 DK
nRF9160 DK - development kit for the nRF9160 SiP for cellular IoT using LTE-M and NB-IoT
The nRF9160 DK is an affordable, pre-certifed single-board development kit for evaluation and development on the nRF9160 SiP for LTE-M and NB-IoT. It has a dedicated LTE-M and NB-IoT antenna that supports a wide range of bands, to operate globally. It has a dedicated antenna for GPS which is supported on the nRF9160. SWF RF connectors are available for all antennas.
All GPIOs (32) and interfaces (4) SPI/I²C/UART, are available via connectors. The kit is Arduino Uno Rev3 compatible, meaning it can be easily interfaced with external device shields.
User-programmable LEDs(4), buttons(2) and switches(2) are available to easily give input and get output. The nRF9160 DK has both a 4FF SIM card slot and an MFF2 SIM footprint, to support both plug-in and soldered (e)SIMs. It is bundled with a eSIM card from iBasis preloaded with 10 MB.
Programming and debugging is enabled through the Segger J-Link OB, which also supports external targets. The nRF9160 DK is supported by a full suite of development software and tools. All free to download and use commercially.
nRF Connect SDK includes everything needed to get started, application layer protocols, examples, peripheral drivers and more. The kit can easily be connected to our cloud solution, nRF Connect for Cloud. The nRF Link Monitor tool provides and AT command interface that enables you to test your link, and extract information about the network.
The board also features an nRF52840 multiprotocol SoC which acts as a board controller that for example can be used to build a Bluetooth® Low Energy gateway.
- Single board development kit for the nRF9160 SiP
- Bands supported:
- yy US: B2, B4, B5, B12, B13
- yy EU/APAC: B3, B8, B20, B28
- Certifcations: CE, FCC
- nRF52840 board controller
- Arduino Uno Rev3 compatible
- LTE-M/NB-IoT, GPS and 2.4 GHz antennas
- SWF RF connectors for all antennas
- 4FF SIM card slot and MFF2 SIM footprint
- Segger J-Link OB programmer/debugger
- Pins for measuring power consumption
- User-programmable LEDs(4), buttons(2) and switches(2)
- 3.3 - 5.5 V supply from battery, external or USB
- Multimode LTE-M and NB-IoT modem
- Pre-certified for global operation
- 700 MHz - 2.2 GHz band support
- 23 dBm output power
- Assisted GPS
- eDRX and PSM power saving modes
- Coverage enhancement modes
- SMS, IPv4/IPv6
- TCP/UDP, TLS/DTLS
- Single pin 50 Ω antenna interface
- UICC interface
- Application Processor
- 64 MHz Arm® Cortex®-M33 CPU
- Arm TrustZone® for trusted execution
- Arm CryptoCell 310 for application layer security
- 1 MB Flash & 256 KB RAM
- 4 x SPI/UART/TWI
- Board controller
- Bluetooth 5, Bluetooth mesh, Thread and Zigbee
- 64 MHz Arm Cortex-M4F CPU
- 1 MB Flash & 256 KB RAM
- Logistics and asset tracking
- Smart City
- Smart Agriculture
- Industrial & Predictive maintenance
Links & Documents
The nRF9160 is a compact, highly-integrated System-in-Package that makes the latest low power LTE technology and advanced processing and security accessible, and easy to use, for a wide range of single device low power cellular IoT (cIoT) designs.
Have a question? Contact us