Microchip ATECC608A secure element
The ATECC608A is a secure element from the Microchip CryptoAuthentication™ portfolio with advanced Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) capabilities.
The Microchip ATECC608A integrates ECDH (Elliptic Curve Diffie Hellman) security protocol an ultra-secure method to provide key agreement for encryption/decryption, along with ECDSA (Elliptic Curve Digital Signature Algorithm) sign-verify authentication for the Internet of Things (IoT) market including home automation, industrial networking, medical, as well as accessories and consumables authentication and more. In addition, the ATECC608A offer an integrated AES hardware accelerator strengthening hardware based security for LoRaWAN applications and enable secure boot capabilities for very small microcontrollers.
The ATECC608A is a secure element from the Microchip CryptoAuthenticationTM portfolio with advanced Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) capabilities. With ECDH and ECDSA being built right in, this device is ideal for the rapidly growing IoT market by easily supplying the full range of security such as confidentiality, data integrity, and authentication to systems with MCU or MPUs running encryption/decryption algorithms. Similar to all Microchip CryptoAuthentication products, the new ATECC608A employs ultra-secure hardware-based cryptographic key storage and cryptographic countermeasures which eliminate potential backdoors linked to software weaknesses.
The device is agnostic of any microprocessor (MPU) or microcontroller (MCU) and compatible with Microchip AVR/ARM MCUs or MPUs. As with all CryptoAuthentication devices, the ATECCC608A delivers extremely low-power consumption, requires only a single GPIO over a wide voltage range, and has a tiny form factor making it ideal for a variety of applications that require longer battery life and flexible form factors.
- Cryptographic co-processor with secure hardware-based key storage
- Protected storage for up to 16 Keys, certificates or data
- Hardware support for asymmetric sign, verify, key agreement – ECDSA: FIPS186-3 Elliptic Curve Digital Signature
- ECDH: FIPS SP800-56A Elliptic Curve Diffie-Hellman
- NIST standard P256 elliptic curve support
- Hardware support for symmetric algorithms
- SHA-256 & HMAC hash including off-chip context save/restore
- AES-128: encrypt/decrypt, galois field multiply for GCM
- Networking key management support
- Turnkey PRF/HKDF calculation for TLS 1.2 & 1.3
- Ephemeral key generation and key agreement in SRAM – Small message encryption with keys entirely protected
- Secure boot support
- Full ECDSA code signature validation, optional stored digest/signature – optional communication key disablement prior to secure boot
- Encryption/Authentication for messages to prevent on-board attacks
- Internal high-quality FIPS 800-90 A/B/C Random Number Generator (RNG)
- Two high-endurance monotonic counters
- Guaranteed unique 72-bit serial number
- Two interface options available
- High-speed single pin interface with One GPIO pin
- 1MHz Standard I2C interface
- 1.8V to 5.5V IO levels, 2.0V to 5.5V supply voltage
- <150nA Sleep current
- 8-pad UDFN, 8-lead SOIC, and 3-lead CONTACT packages
- IoT network endpoint key management & exchange
- Encryption for small messages and PII data
- Secure Boot and Protected Download
- Ecosystem Control, Anti-cloning