Embedded Operating Systems
Microsoft provides the technologies and expertise you need to capitalize on the Internet of Things by building an intelligent system to gather, store and analyze your organization’s data. From devices on the edge of your network, to back-end systems and services, the data that flows through your enterprise will drive a new level of business intelligence. This all is made possible with various Windows Embedded software solutions tailor-made to satisfy your business needs, including:
Windows Embedded Channel: This independent Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) channel sits beside the "normal" Desktop, Systembuilder and EPG division, focused on industrial embedded systems.
Embedded licensing: Designed specifically for OEMs to use Microsoft products on their proprietary devices in dedicated scenarios, embedded licensing is restricted to dedicated function devices and is not permitted for general purpose computing. A COA (Certificate of Authenticity) sticker is required for each device or system and product keys are tied to the system, not the company or user.
The Windows Embedded operating system for innovative and small-footprint devices is designed specifically for embedded developers who need to bring new devices to market quickly and at the lowest possible cost.
- CE 6.0
- Compact 7
- Compact 2013
- Standard 2009
- Standard 7
- 8 Standard
- 8.1 Industry Pro
- Windows 10 IoT Enterprise
Classic Operating Systems: we have you covered with the full line of embedded solutions offered by Microsoft:
- Windows XP Professional
- Windows 7
- Windows 8.1
POS Operating Systems: these Windows Embedded solutions are optimized for retail point-of-service (POS) devices:
- POSReady 2009
- POSReady 7
- 8.1 Industry Pro Retail
- Windows 10 IoT Enterprise Retail
Server Systems: Avnet Integrated offers expertise in embedded server solutions from Microsoft's portfolio.
Secure and effective protection at every level: device, connection to cloud
Our security portfolio helps you deliver interoperable solutions that span every level of the IoT, from devices and connections to the cloud. We adhere to the following security features:
- Device level: Protect device and user identities, ensure device integrity and protect operational and personal data on every device. Each device should guarantee authentication without jeopardizing individual privacy and have the ability to automatically self-assess and resolve any situation.
- Connection level: Ensure secure application, traffic, and data security in transit through every type of wired and wireless network connection. A new class of intelligent gateway solutions, developed by McAfee, Intel, and Wind River, offers secure interoperability with legacy systems while providing common interfaces and seamless communication between devices and the cloud, enabling secure connectivity between a “systems of systems.”
- Cloud level: Deliver the necessary trust for data centers and multitenant public cloud environments to unleash powerful IoT services and analytics while protecting data and ensuring privacy.
Intel Security provides today’s most comprehensive security portfolio to address the complex issues and scalability of the IoT, so we’ll use their products to ensure your products and devices are protected from cyberthreats and attacks. Our embedded system and device security solutions span a range of technologies, including application whitelisting, antivirus and anti-malware protection, device management, and encryption - and all leverage industry-leading McAfee Global Threat Intelligence. These solutions can be tailored to meet the specific design requirements for your embedded device and its architectures.
Embedded security technologies
McAfee® Embedded Control™ maintains the integrity of your system by only allowing authorized code authorized changes. It automatically creates a dynamic whitelist of the “authorized code” on the embedded system and locks it down to the known good baseline.
McAfee® Integrity Control™ software combines industry-leading whitelisting and change control technology to ensure that only trusted applications run on fixed-function devices, such as point-of-service (POS) systems, automated teller machines (ATMs) and kiosks. It provides customers with continuous change detection capabilities and the capability to proactively prevent unauthorized change attempts.
McAfee® Application Control™ software provides complete protection from unwanted applications and code-blocking advanced threats without requiring signature updates. It lets you consistently enable the known good, block the known and unknown bad, and properly administer new software. The dynamic whitelisting trust model reduces costs by eliminating expensive manual support requirements associated with other whitelisting technologies.
McAfee® Endpoint Protection Suite integrates core functions found in layers of gateway or network security and essential security into a single, manageable environment ideal for safeguarding traditional desktops and other systems that have limited exposure to internet threats.
Virtualization with our VMware embedded program
VMware can help embedded OEMs deliver a pre-configured, turnkey solution to customers. VMware solutions will enable you to:
- Deliver virtualization and end-user computing products with your solutions and sell them worldwide/li>
- Enable new business models using VMware solutions for hybrid cloud or managed services deployments
- Decrease solution costs and time-to-revenue by leveraging the "Compatibility Guide" with hundreds of hardware devices
- Eliminate downtime with ready-to-deploy features for availability
To qualify for the VMware Embedded OEM program, you must be an OEM or ISV building an integrated appliance or device that includes a proprietary application or unique IP intended for resell to an end user. Available solutions include: