3 use cases for embedded platforms enabling HMIs and IoT systems
The demand for intelligent human machine interface (HMI) systems, flexible panel PCs and easy-to-configure Internet of Things (IoT) gateways for industry remains strong and will continue to grow.
In the development of these innovative industrial products, flexible design and optimized time-to-market are the main priorities. The aim is to bring the new system onto the market quickly in order to secure valuable market share.
The driving forces are modern applications — diverse visualization and complex display solutions, object recognition systems, IoT gateways, medical devices, professional infotainment systems, building automation systems, transportation applications and gaming systems.
To quickly develop a precisely tailored hardware solution for each application, more and more standardized basic components are being used.
A broad section of predefined, already verified building blocks such as embedded computer modules or connectivity solutions can get designers so far. Combining a standardized computer-on-module (COM) with a standard baseboard can move designs even further.
These use cases illustrate some of the outcomes:
Human-machine interaction for fitness equipment
- Eliminate one-time engineering costs
- Ensure long-term availability of solution
- Accommodate changing system needs over time
- Flexible architecture based on ARM or x86 processors
- Stable platform based on fixed long-term design
- Adaptable assembly options
- SimpleFlex provides fast time to market and flexible capacity for change that persists over the long-term lifecycle of the solution.
Railway passenger information and ticketing system
- Create carrier board without in-house hardware engineering resources
- Provide customizations for onboard railway operating environment
- Ready-to-use SimpleFlex carrier with minor changes
- Assembly customization to add DIP switches to adjust display settings
- Configuration of board with locking connectors
- SimpleFlex drives down non-recurring engineering costs and accelerates time to market.
Large-format customer-interaction display
- Replace existing solution developed in-house with small LCD and simple microcontroller
- Meet market expectations for large displays with video and PCAP
- Produce at low volume (<2000 units per year)
- Off-the-shelf carrier board, with zero one-time engineering cost
- Variable design based on ARM or x86 architecture as needed
- Customization through assembly options
- SimpleFlex cost-effectively provides fast time to market and variable design at low production volume, with excellent technical support.
One of the simplest ways to bring this to market is through a semi-prefabricated solution like Avnet Integrated’s SimpleFlex platform. Equipped with the selected SMARC 2.0™ module according to customer-specific requirements, and easily configured without development effort, it ensures high flexibility with more than 30 prevalidated interface combinations and can be combined with all displays and touch screens — including configurable SimplePlus displays — to build a complete HMI system.