EBV & ST – Taking DCDC conversion to the next level
ST has developed a complete family of step-down monolithic synchronous DC-DC converters, which have the power to offer a complete and flexible solution for all application needs. The L/A698x family is a new generation of switching regulators that provide a continuous output current of up to 2 A and a wide range of flavors to help to overcome today’s IoT challenges.
Benefits of using synchronous topology:
- Offers superior efficiency in the wide load and conversion ratio range of applications
- Ensures higher integration and reduces need for external components
Key features of new generation:
- Adjustable switching frequency up to 2 MHz
- PMOS high-side for 100% duty cycle
- Low minimum on time (tON) (80 ns)
- Operating quiescent current as low as 30 μA in low consumption mode
- Switchover capability to further improve efficiency
You can enhance the compactness by reducing the external BOM, by avoiding any boot capacitor and reducing the external coil size, you can widen the conversion ratio range and enjoy the best power-savings either in light load or at full operating conditions.
A comprehensive set of smart features is also embedded:
- Synchronization capability
- Dynamically adjustable skip current level in low consumption mode (LCM)(L/A6985F/6F/6H)
- Power Good function with adjustable delay
- Adjustable soft-start
The L/A698x family lets you set the switching frequency to obtain the best trade-off for your application, by negotiating between BOM cost, space-saving and system tolerance.
You can also synchronize more than one product using a master/slave approach to avoid beating frequencies, or even use your own system clock. Developers will also like the fact that they can then configure system behaviour in terms of light load management and by defining the time to reset the MCU or even sizing the in-rush current condition at system start-up.
We believe that flexibility is a plus to adjust the same product to different working conditions and ensure the best performance. But when talking of flexibility, let’s go one step further and learn how to reuse these flexible switching regulators in different topologies.
Same product in different architectures
Do you need to implement power conversion in different topologies? Apply your knowledge and experience in order to design different operating modes. You can use your native buck converter architecture in one of the following topologies:
- Inverting buck-boost
- Floating boost
- Positive buck-boost
- Isolated Buck