ON Semiconductor product portfolio contains a wide range of products able to support wired connectivity in the KNX and M-Bus field.
KNX transceivers for twisted pair networks
ON Semiconductor has released a complete family of KNX transceiver ICs, suitable for use in all kinds of KNX applications, from the most simple and low cost, to the more complex which require more features and higher performance. 20V LDO plus two high efficiency DC-DC converters in one device enable high power applications and result in low BOM size and decreased cost. All members of the ON Semiconductor KNX family assure safe coupling to and decoupling from the bus and can be used as bit transceivers in analogue mode if required. The family is composed of three part numbers:
NCN5110: KNX bit transceiver (or PHY-only) suitable for all applications where a separate digital interface is already present. NCN5110 does not require external XTAL for proper operation.buy now
NCN5121: KNX transceiver which is the perfect solution for all standard applications. NCN5121 embeds both PHY and MAC layers and handles the transmission and reception of data on the bus. Various monitors (bus voltage, current, temperature...) are made available through an analog pin.
NCN5130: KNX transceiver dedicated not only to standard applications, but also providing more flexibility for all new applications which require more power consumption from the KNX bus due to additional circuitry (LED Backlights, additional Relays, bigger MCUs…). Various monitors (bus voltage, current, temperature...) are made available through an analog pin.buy now
- Can be used in any TP1-256 application
- Two DC-DC converters: 3.3V fixed and 1.2V to 21V variable, allowing extra applications to be powered.
- 20V LDO for precise regulation of voltage.
- Lowest voltage KNX bus drop and Low bus current consumption for Best in Class overall system efficiency.
- Comprehensive clocking system can also generate 8/16MHz clock for an external microcontroller.
- Extended ambient temperature range -40 C to +105 C for safer and reliable applications
- Smart lighting & switches
- Ventilation and air conditioning
- Alarms and smoke detectors
- Shutters and blinds
- Routers, gateways, bus-powered or externally supplied
- Security applications
KNX Typical Architecture:
Meter BUS slave transceivers
M-Bus (Meter-Bus) is a European for the remote reading of electricity, gas or other types of consumption meters. The M-Bus interface is made for communication on two wires, making it cost-effective. ON Semiconductor has a family of M-Bus single-chip, integrated slave transceiver for use in two-wire Meter Bus (M-BUS) slave devices and repeaters.
NCN5150: is a single-chip integrated slave transceiver for use in two-wire Meter Bus (M-BUS) slave devices and repeaters. The transceiver provides all of the functions needed to satisfy the European Standards EN 13757-2 and EN 1434-3 describing the physical layer requirements for M-BUS. It includes a programmable power level of up to 2 (SOIC version) or 6 (NQFP version) unit loads which are available for use in external circuits through a 3.3V LDO regulator.buy now
NCN5151: is a single-chip integrated slave transceiver for use in 2-wire Meter Bus (M-BUS) slave devices and repeaters. The NCN5151 reuses the NCN5150 features and adds two low power modes: a 2-wire low power mode dedicated to System for meter Communication and Readout for powerless meters (SCR) and a 3-wire low power mode allowing support for wireless applications.buy now
- Single-chip M-Bus transceiver
- 2 and 3-Wire low power modes with selection input pins (NCN5151 only)
- UART communication speeds up to 38400 baud
- Integrated 3.3 V VDD LDO regulator with extended peak current capability of 15 mA
- Supports powering slave device from the bus or from external power supply
- Adjustable I/O levels
- Adjustable constant current sink up to 2 or 6 unit loads, depending on the part number, in M-Bus mode
- Low bus voltage operation
- Current budget of 0.88 mA minimum for external circuits
- Polarity independent
- Low turn ON/OFF levels for low bus voltage operation
- Power-fail function
- Fast startup - no external transistor required on STC pin
- Industrial ambient temperature range of -40C to +85C
- Available in:
- NCN5150: 16-pin SOIC (pin-to-pin compatible with TSS721A )
- NCN5151: 20-pin QFN
- Multi-Energy Utility meters
- Heating systems
MBUS Block Diagram