EBV presents: 24 GHz from Infineon and InnoSenT
The new SMR series for home automation & security applications from InnoSenT & Infineon
This recently launched SMR-3xx sensor module family combines the capabilities of new Infineon world’s smallest industrial 24GHz MMIC BGT24LTR11 in an SMT device.
A smarter motion sensing environment is being enabled by 24GHz radar sensors from Infineon.
Applications such as intruder alarms, smart lighting schemes, traffic monitoring equipment and automatic doors need to detect motion and/or proximity. Commonly used infrared sensing techniques are limited in range and not able to determine object speeds. Thus, radar-based systems are growing in popularity and expanding the application use cases.
- Speed / Velocity - Derived from Doppler shift in frequency
- Range / Distance to target - Derived from measurement of electromagnetic wave
- Angle / Direction to target - Derived from phase difference at the antennas
SMR series from InnoSenT
With an outline of only 20 mm x 15 mm x 3 mm the new SMR series Radar sensors come in an ultra-compact design to ease integration even in the smallest space available. Not only are the SMR radars small, being an SMT device makes them extraordinary well suitable for high volume production. The units are available on tape & reel and can be handled in a standard SMT process along with all other board components like resistors, transistors and integrated circuits. No additional handwork is required. A low duty-cycle pulse mode is available to aid power consumption in low power applications:
- Lighting control
- Energy management
- Intelligent machine control
- Touchfree switches
- Intrusion alarm
- Movement detection
Useful links and documents:
- “Advances in Radar-based Motion & Proximity Detection” – Infineon technical article here
- Find out more about the InnoSenT SMR Series: InnoSenT SMR Series web page
- InnoSenT SMR Product Data Sheet
- Radar vs. PIR: Selecting the right solution
- Frequently asked questions for 24GHz industrial radar
Smart radar solutions with the 24 GHz radar chipset
This webinar introduces Infineon's BGT24M/L, the highest integrated 24 GHz ISM band radar transceiver family. Designs using these integrated solutions save ~30% board space compared to discrete line-ups.