NXP i.MX 8M Mini multi-core heterogeneous applications processors
i.MX 8M Mini brings together high-performance computing, power efficiency, enhanced system reliability and embedded security.
The i.MX 8M Mini is a multi-core heterogeneous applications processors built using advanced 14LPC FinFET process technology. And brings together high-performance computing, power efficiency, enhanced system reliability and embedded security.
At the heart is a scalable core complex of up to four Cortex-A53 running up to 1.8GHz plus Cortex-M4 based real-time domain at 400+MHz. i.MX 8M Mini core options are optimized for low-power but offer the breadth of processing power necessary for consumer, audio, industrial, machine learning training and inferencing across a range of cloud providers.
- Power Efficient and Scalable Performance
- Size- and Cost-optimized System Design
- Media-rich: Video, Graphics, Audio, User Interface
- Industrial and Commercial, Longevity of Supply
Power Efficient and Scalable Performance
- Low power 14LPC delivers much lower leakage than standard technology
- Single-, dual- or quad-core Cortex-A53 cores up to 1.8 GHz; scalable performance in a pin-compatible package
- Cortex-M4 up to 400MHz for HMP (task offload, power optimizations)
Size- and Cost-optimized System Design
- Full-featured packages with 6-8 layer board design and no microvias
- DDR3L, DDR4, LPDDR4
- Direct connection of PDM microphones (no CODEC) enables low system-cost
- Linux/Android/FreeRTOS BSP and solutions software
Media-rich: Video, Graphics, Audio, User Interface
- 1080p60 video decoding (H.265, H.264, VP8/9)
- 1080p60 video encoding (H.264, VP8)
- 2D and 3D GPU to enable 1080p media UI via MIPI-DSI display interface
- Advanced audio supports 12Tx + 16Rx external I2S lanes with support for 384KHz and 768KHz audio, with DSD512 support
Industrial and Commercial, Longevity of Supply
- -40C to 105C junction temperature and qualification for industrial operation
- Up to 10 year continuous operation
- 0C to 95C junction temperature and qualification for consumer applications needing more performance
- Minimum 10 year supply longevity on commercial and industrial devices
- Embedded Industrial IoT
- Security and surveillance system
- Building access control
- HVAC climate control
- Home gateway
- Human Machine Interface
i.MX 8M Mini Development Tools and Ecosystem
Manufacturing Part Number: 8MMINILPD4-EVK
The i.MX 8M Mini development board (EVK) is a two-board solution that consists of a compact compute module and a larger base board that brings out the broad connectivity that is needed for product evaluation. The compute module uses fast, power-efficient 2 GB of LPDDR4 memory alongside the i.MX 8M Mini, PMIC, eMMC, and soldered-down Wi-Fi/BT module for connectivity out-of-the-box.
The EVK enables HDMI via a MIPI-DSI to HDMI accessory card, for simple out-of-the-box bring up. Below is a photograph of the compute module plus base board (delivered pre-assembled out-of-the-box) as well as the MIPI-DSI to HDMI accessory card (included in the box). Note that the compute module is not sold separately.
Key Features of the i.MX 8M Mini EVK:
- 8-layer PCB, no HDI, compact size (2” x 2”)
- i.MX 8M Mini Quad multimedia applications processor
- Murata Wi-Fi Type 1PJ (QCA9377)
- PMIC Rohm BD71847MWV
- 2 GB, 32-bit LPDDR4
- 16 GB eMMC 5.1
- 64 MB QSPI Flash
- Interface board, 4.2” x 4.2”
- Display Connector: 1x mini-SAS MIPI-DSI
- Camera connector:1x mini-SAS MIPI-CSI
- Audio DAC (WM8524)
- MicroSD card connector
- 10/100/1000 Ethernet port (AR8031 Gigabit PHY)
- 2x USB 3.0 Type C connectors, Port2 is the only power supply port
- USB to serial converter for debug
- JTAG connector for debug
- Wi-Fi/BT antenna
- LEDs for power indication and general-purpose use
- 3.5 mm audio jack for amplified speakers
- M.2 connector for Wi-Fi/BT (PCIe, I2C, etc.)
- Audio expansion connector (UART, I2S)
- General purpose expansion connector (RPI-like, UART, I2S):
- UART, I2S
- NXP PN7150RPI board supported via this interface
Tools & OS Support:
- Linux 4.14
- Android P
- FreeRTOS (Cortex-M4)
- MX8-DSI-OLED1: OLED display for touchscreen support.
- MINISASTOCSI: Camera module for machine vision and video recording.
- Accessory boards are available for purchase.
Do you have a Question?
If you need any assistance, please click below to find your closest EBV sales office.
Links and documents