The MAX1720x/MAX1721x are ultra-low power stand-alone fuel gauge ICs that implement the Maxim ModelGauge™ m5 algorithm without requiring host interaction for configuration. This feature makes the MAX1720x/MAX1721x excellent pack-side fuel gauges. The MAX17201/MAX17211 monitor a single cell pack. The MAX17205/MAX17215 monitor and balance a 2S or 3S pack or monitor a multiple-series cell pack.
To prevent battery pack cloning, the ICs integrate SHA-256 authentication with a 160-bit secret key. Each IC incorporates a unique 64-bit ID.
The ModelGauge™ m5 algorithm combines the short-term accuracy and linearity of a coulomb counter with the long-term stability of a voltage-based fuel gauge, along with temperature compensation to provide industry-leading fuel gauge accuracy. The IC automatically compensates for cell aging, temperature, and discharge rate, and provides accurate state of charge (SOC) in milliampere-hours (mAh) or percentage (%) over a wide range of operating conditions. As the battery approaches the critical region near empty, the ModelGauge m5 algorithm invokes a special error correction mechanism that eliminates any error. The ICs provide accurate estimation of time-to-empty and time-to-full, Cycle+™ age forecast, and three methods for reporting the age of the battery: reduction in capacity, increase in battery resistance, and cycle odometer.
- Measure VOC in offices, light industrial settings, schools and hospitals
- Measure efficacy of filtration/purification systems
- Control ventilation systems based on real-time air quality
- PPM range leak measurement of hydrogen, methane, propane, LPG, natural gas and other flammable gases
- Measure hydrogen leaks to test seals and product integrity
- Reliable gas detection
- High sensitivity to a wide range of gases
- Long lifetime
- Minimal response to relative humidity (RH)
- Over a decade of gas sensing experience