Type 1SC ultra-small cellular modem
Murata has developed the Type 1SC ultra-small cellular modem in partnership with Altair Semiconductor and STMicroelectronics
Murata has selected Altair’s feature-rich and highly compact ALT1250 chipset to power its Type 1SE and Type 1SC end device and module, respectively. The ALT1250 is the most integrated and advanced chipset that supports CAT-M1 and NB1. It incorporates Altair’s OneSKUTM RF technology to enable multiple LTE band combinations, as well as CAT-M1 and NB1 functionality with a single hardware design. Additional features include GNSS and cellular-based positioning engines, an IoT-optimised security framework, and integrated VoLTE support. The ALT1250’s ultra-low power consumption – including both 3GPP power saving mode (PSM) and eDRX – increases battery life to up to 15 years in certain use cases. The ALT1250 will be firmware-upgradable to support NB2.
The world’s smallest available CAT-M1/NB1 module measuring 11.1x11.4x1.4 mm, which is less than half the area of many other commercial solutions, the 1SC module is the flexible option. IoT solution providers can pair this module with any of the 700+ part numbers of STM32 MCU portfolio to address a wider range of IoT applications.
Measuring 15 x 17 x 1.4 mm, the Type 1SE device is the optimised choice, with minimum power consumption and size. The STM32L462REY6 is an ultra-low-power MCU which features an Arm Cortex-M4 running at 80MHz with 512KB Flash and 160 KB SRAM. The STM32L4 MCU series features the best-in-class ultra-low-power architecture available on the market with several ultra-low-power modes, including a Standby mode that consumes only 450nA while retaining 16 KBytes of SRAM and RTC running; a super-optimized Shutdown mode draws only 8nA. The ST33J2M0 Secure Microcontroller is based on the 32-bit Arm® SecurCore® SC300 processor, features 2 Mbytes of embedded flash to store securely sensitive data, hardware accelerators for advanced cryptographic functions and additional security features to help protecting against advanced form of attacks.
1SC Type samples will be available in March and 1SE Type samples are expected in June.
- LTE Cat M1 - 23 dBm
- NB-IoT (NB1) Rel. 13 (Rel. 14 – SW Upgrade)
- Dimension: 11.1 x 11.4 x 1.4 mm (typ), 1.5 mm (max)
- Package: LGA
- Antenna configurations: external
- 3GPP eDRX and PSM modes
- Power Consumption: enables up to 10 year battery life
- Modem features global covergae in low and midbands, low current consumption (eDRX and PSM), and long battery life (10 + years), which is ideally suited for small, battery operated IoT devices and applications
- Operating temperature range: -40 ºC to 85 ºC
- OTA firmware upgrade
- Global Carrier Certifications: GCF and ptcrb
- Smallest/Highly integrated LTE Cat M1/NB1 modem available in the market
- Ideally suited for miniaturized battery operated devices, such as wearables and tracking applications
- Multi-band (low and mid-band) support that covers approximately the globe
- Dual mode (LTE Cat M1/NB-IoT)
- Provides options within a single modem that allows end customers flexibility of switching between modes globally
- Secure boot architecture and a robust hardware -based security framework
Ask an expert
Have a question? Our regional technical specialists are on hand to help.