2016 Cisco Network Expert Security Battle Winners:
Mesa Community College
Cisco Network Expert Security Battle – Competitors will be challenged to set-up, deploy, troubleshoot and repair a network similar to a small office configuration. Teams will be tested on their understanding of intercloud and networking security and will work to secure their network and prepare for a competition practice attack.
The tasks will be set up on an "Internet of Things" endpoint (a Raspberry Pi2 module configured as an http: server); network it correctly; provide a secure connection to a wireless access point; and access it via a smartphone browser. The game will require knowledge of the initial setup, layer 2 switching and layer 3 inter Vlan routing onsite in the provided lab environment. The lab environment is provided based on the following Cisco environment:
- Cisco PoE network switch
- Cisco ASA 5506 firewall/router
- Cisco Wireless access point
- Avnet-provided Raspberry Poi 2 module with SSD card and image
- Student-provided Smartphone and browser
Student teams will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their familiarity with the Raspberry Pi 2 environment, layer 2 and layer 3 networking skills, basic firewall configuration and wireless access point configuration Teams will work to secure their network and prepare it for a test evaluation by a team of Cisco network engineers.
• Basic data center interconnect with layer 2 VLANs; IP sub netting;
layer 3 routing
• Intermediate routing and switching configuration (spanning tree,
OSPF routing, IP addressing, sub netting)
• Networking security skill (access lists, control plane policing)
• Basic Wifi SSID setup and security settings
• Basic configuration of ASA 5506 firewall
• Setup and enablement of provided Raspberry pi 2 device
• Configure general networking (virtual routing and switching
• Establish Data Center Interconnect to the raspberry
Pi 2 web server
• Configure security on the ASA 5506
• Configure wireless SSID on the controller
• Configure security on wireless SSID
• Configure security inside the Cloud
- Configure security (ACL, CPP, etc.) inside virtual
• Reference materials
• Smartphone of choice
• 1 laptop, USB keyboard and mouse per team (provided by Avnet)
• Cisco PoE switch per team (provided by Cisco)
• Cisco ASA 5506 firewall/router (provided by Cisco)
• Cisco wireless access point; Wireless access point controller
(provided by Cisco)
• Raspberry Pi2 and imaged SSD card (provided by Avnet)
• All cabling and power
This is an all-day event, which will be held Saturday, April 2, 2016.
Each 1st place winning team member will receive a $1,000 scholarship.
Each 2nd place winning team member will receive an Apple TV module.
Each 3rd place winning team member will receive a complete Raspberry Pi2 and SSD card on Cisco Packet Tracer.
Teams will be tested on their understanding of Intercloud and networking security.
Student teams will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their networking skills. Teams will work to secure their network and prepare for a competition practice attack.
Click on the document below for
supplemental game details
Avnet Tech Games 2016 Cisco IoT Challenge.pdf